Tis the season to give odd candies melted on top of cookies...
Holidays are a tough time when you are trying to either change your eating habits or maintain your healthy lifestyle. We are inundated with tasty treats everywhere we go and they infiltrate our homes by the dozens. You can make a difference. You can help spread good health as well as your love by gifting better treats!
Better edible gift ideas to spread holiday cheer include:
- Roasted nuts with herbs
- Homemade spice blends, salsas or hot sauce
- Pickled vegetables
- Homemade vanilla extract
- Nut granola
- Put together a small satchel of interesting bagged teas
- Chili or soup kit
- Homemade Bone Broth
- Who doesn't love fancy olive oil and vinegars?
- Seasoned popcorn kit
- If you're going to give sweets it may as be this low glycemic, amazingly delicious chocolate by Lulu's Chocolates
- When in doubt, gift card to the rescue! Proper Meats is great because they can either buy products, meats or simply enjoy a prepared meal
Or better yet- Why not give an experience instead of treats!
Spending quality time together can be the best present. Have your friends over for a board game night, go snowshoeing together, look for constellations, investigate something new you’d like to try - and try it together.
More experiential gift ideas include:
- Take your pals bowling
- Get them movie tickets or go together
- Explore the Lava Caves together (the cave stays at a constant temp so it's open year round but you may need to do a little hiking to get to the cave opening...and take headlamps or flashlights!)
- Give them the stars! Check out Lowell Observatory
- Gift certificates for knitting classes, painting classes, dance lessons or cooking lessons
- Host a pedicure party for the gals
- Send them to the symphony
- Improve their physical health with a gift certificate to Paragon Athletics, yoga, or other exercise class
Rethinking the norm of cookies, candy and overly-sweet, processed holiday treats takes a shift in mind set and habits. Never fear! You are on the right track and hopefully, you have found some ideas that inspire you to give a better gift (or, ENJOY a better treat yourself!)
Have an idea we didn't cover? Tell us what you give instead of icky-sweet powder sugared and brightly colored royal frosting covered treats!